Sunday, February 26, 2012

How to build toy drive in a border collie?

My border collie only will tug if its a brand new toy or one that belongs to another dog outside of our house.....I wanted her to be a agility dog ,but she would need a toy drive for better success any help on it she has like 30 toys.How to build toy drive in a border collie?Tug of war is great! My dog loves it and so do I.

Tease him with the toy as much as possible, you can even tie him up while you run around and play with the toy. Play with the toy with other dogs too. Find a toy that he would like, buy it, play with it with him and put it away when he is high in drive. This is going to be your toy, the one that you bring out and play with, then put away.



Chase games are also really good for creating high toy drive. Run away from your dog with the toy in your hand and put it in his mouth when he is getting really excited. You can also chase your dog while he has the toy in his mouth, my dog loves this. Dont worry about ruining the recall if you are chasing him- chase only works if you are involved so he will be looking at you for fun times. Lots of fun times when the toy comes out, and boring when the toy is not there.



Anytime your dog is excited (like when you first get home) is a great time to play with the toy.

Building play/toy drive is all about having fun and playing when the opportunity presents itself.



Check out a book called Schutzhund Obedience- Training in Drive by S.Booth. This is not the way I train my dogs but I have used their method to create drive in my dog.

Good luckHow to build toy drive in a border collie?Leerburg is the perfect website for that. they have a lot of info on building drive in your dog. They also have this Agility video they sell. I don't remember who its from but i heard good things about it. the website is full of really good info that can help you. There is nothing wrong with playing tug of war with your dog. A lot of high level agility competitors use the tug to build drive you just have to do it the right way. Michael Ellis has a Dvd on the power of training your dog with a tug. It's one of the building drive dvd series.

They have a Discussion Forum. people there can probably help you. I've never tried contacting them. I've just bought some of there videos and a lot of their training equipment. The training info i usually get are from the forum members and the articles. I hope you can find what your looking forHow to build toy drive in a border collie?I do not recommend playing tug-of-war with your dog. Try spraying some cooking oil on the toys.

No comments:

Post a Comment